Losing Ingrid

I'm not waiting for her anymore. BIG BIG problems with the paperwork that have marred this case almost from the beginning. I'm now trying to deal with the reality that Ingrid will never be my daughter.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Superhero

What's that show? Save a cheerleader, save the world.

I was a HS cheerleader. I envisoned signing Ingrid up for Pop Warner cheerleading.

I have a new hero.
http://chew.typepad.com/jenute/

Please feel free to visit her blog. And SHARE it.

Her Guatemala story has a happy ending. Beautiful baby, home safe and sound. I "found" her right when she switched to Guatemala and followed her story. She disappeared after homecoming, as so many people do. I assumed it was because she was so happy, elated, busy taking care of her daughter. Low and behold, turns out she had gotten a referral from China. You probably have heard of her story. Her agency was NOT good to her, suffice it to say.

From the adoption-nightmare stories I know, NONE of us blame our agencies for the problems with our children (or in my case, the problem with my non-process). We understand that International Adoption takes risks, that the children will not be "perfect" and that there are unknowns when you're dealing with government and legal stuff. However, the way these adoption agencies treated their "paying clients" when problems occured, that is NOT acceptable.

BEING BULLIED IS NOT ONE OF THE RISKS YOU EXPECT WHEN YOU ADOPT INTERNATIONALLY. An agency does NOT have the right to lie to you because they are uncomfortable telling you the truth. A potential adoptive parent DOES have rights, even if the contract says you acknowledge there may be some unknowns. ADOPTIVE PARENTS ARE PAYING CLIENTS, we pay the adoption agency to provide a service of facilitating an adoption, to advise us on the process and to walk us through the paperwork and to handle difficulties should they occur. AND PAYING CLIENTS HAVE RIGHTS. I would not pay a repairman to not fix my air conditioner. I would not pay a gardener to not mow my lawn. Why did I pay an adoption facilitator to NOT facilitate an adoption?

DID YOU KNOW, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN THE LICENSING REQUIREMENTS FOR ADOPTION AGENCIES AND ADOPTION FACILITATORS? I didn't know that when I started.

I was also impressed to get an e-mail or phone call on a Sunday. Or at 9:00 PM on a Friday night. At the start of my process, I would have been SOOOOOOO impressed at the commitment, at the near 24-hour access the agency has. I NOW SEE IT DIFFERENTLY. Anyone who is so eager to get your business on the weekend is only doing so because they want to HOOK YOU IN before you go somewhere else. NOTE TO MY FUTURE AGENCY - Please do not call me on the weekend. If you're calling me on the weekend, I don't trust you. And moreseo, I'd like to believe you're spending the weekend with YOUR FAMILY.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:15 AM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    good points here Stacy!I think agencies have a respnsibilty, but so do we as clients, so do we as humans and so do we as mothers...
    educate, educate, educate.

    People ask me if I am scared becuase I am not using an agency. NOPE! I am going in with my eys wide open!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home