Losing Ingrid

I'm not waiting for her anymore. BIG BIG problems with the paperwork that have marred this case almost from the beginning. I'm now trying to deal with the reality that Ingrid will never be my daughter.

Monday, March 19, 2007

Is it wrong of me?

So this post on Guatadopt says that in all likelihood, April 1st will be it. The protocolo is back. Well, it never really went away. But it seems that it will be what the rumor was a few weeks ago. That if your Power of Attorney is on file, then you're safe. And if you're POA isn't registered in the Guatemalan legal system, you're not safe. You're not in process if your POA isn't on file.

Which confirms what I've been saying for the past five months. I was never in process to adopt Ingrid because my Power of Attorney was never registered. The agency can say I'm wrong all they like. Say I have some kind of misinformation. Say Adoption Supervisors lied to me. I'm fine with them saying all of that, because I have a document from the Guatemalan courts that confirms my Power of Attorney was never registered. It's a legal document, saying the other legal document which they claim was filed over a year ago was NEVER filed. It's legal proof that they lied to me. And if that rumor about the protocolo is right, it's legal proof that they scammed me.

So, this is my question. Is it wrong of me to hope that the rumor is true? I know that there will be families who will lose their referral because the POA wasn't on file by whatever deadline is decided, and for that I feel absolutely terrible. But I lived for one year thinking my POA was on file when it really wasn't. (Not really. AS told me it wasn't filed in June, just days before I asked for another referral. Remember when I asked for a new referral, in July? When I found out my process had never started. When I found out my case was going through a banned facilitator. So in actuality, I lived for six months thinking it was on file when it really wasn't. And then I lived for another six months hoping AS was wrong, but deep down knowing they were right. Those were a horrible six months, especially the last two after AS told me but before the agency did that Ingrid could never be relinquished. Absolute nightmare.)

I do not ever want to hear about another family having this done to them. I don't want Thanassis to arrange any more adoptions, since the US Embassy has said he is unethical. (Whether he is or not, that's not my problem. The fact remains, it is not permissible for him to facilitate adoptions. Period.) I don't want agencies to work with him, because the US Embassy has forbade it. (And unfortunately, there's no way to ensure agencies do not work with him. Unless strict penalties are imposed. Like no accreditation. And fines.) I don't want families to lose over ten thousand dollars to an unethical bully. I don't want people not to share their stories, for fear of losing a referral. I don't want people falling in love with a child only to find out that child was never going to be theirs.

Remember the absolute fact of my case remains, I was never legally in process to adopt Ingrid. No matter what the agency says, the legal stuff never happened once it left my hands. I paid the fees for a legal process, yet my process was never started. My case wasn't stuck in PGN, the birth sister's case was stuck in PGN. Sad, definitely. And none of it will make Ingrid my daughter. But it isn't right for an agency to take over ten thousand dollars of my money because I wanted to believe them. I wish I had enough money to donate over ten thousand dollars to pay for Ingrid's care, but that's not what I signed up for. I signed up to try and adopt her, and the agency didn't help me do that. They never did what I paid them for.

And if POAs on file is the make-or-break for processes, that shows I wasn't in process. Regardless of how long it all took. It took me six weeks from referral to dossier, it took the agency 53 more weeks to admit the case could never start, and it's taken over three more months for them to make things right with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home