Losing Ingrid

I'm not waiting for her anymore. BIG BIG problems with the paperwork that have marred this case almost from the beginning. I'm now trying to deal with the reality that Ingrid will never be my daughter.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Looking Back

This was the blog entry I posted at 1:49 PM on December 9, 2005.

Phone Call to Guatemala
I just got off the phone with Ingrid. Yes, I got to talk to her! She definitely knew who she was talking to. We talked about the clothes she got (she really liked the skirt), what color she likes (red was a yes, but didn't offer her favorite color), what she likes to do (play with Karen). She was very excited about Santa Claus coming soon. She told me she sang and danced for me on the video. I told her she's very pretty.

What did I learn from this conversation?

  1. It's very tiring talking on the phone to a four year old. You're totally talking to yourself.
  2. I understand her when she talks.
  3. She understands me when I talk.
  4. She likes the stuff I got for her.
  5. She's very polite.
  6. The foster family will not ask for anything. The daughter said the girls have all they need. I figured that would happen, as they don't want to seem like they aren't taking good care of the children. It would have been nice to know if Ingrid would like a toothbrush or something like that, though.
  7. The foster family really cares about the children.
  8. Ingrid also goes by the name Jeaneth. That's what the daughter said when she asked if I wanted to talk to her. I asked if she goes by Ingrid or Jeaneth, and she said Ingrid Jeaneth. Accent on the first I in Ingrid but saying them with the Spanish pronunciation like an E, Jeaneth sounds like Janet.
  9. I'm not lying or making things up for my students when I tell them that Santa Claus in Central America is Santa Claus. That's exactly how Ingrid said it. Santa, and then made sure I understood by saying Santa Claus, pronounced Clah-os like they would in Spanish.

SO CUTE! I'm absolutely flying right now! Maybe this adrenaline will help me shovel the rest of the driveway. Best snow day EVER

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home